Robot Holocaust

Punisher: War Zone (2008)

Labels: ,

Directed by Lexi Alexander
Written by Nick Santora Art Marcum and Matt Holloway
Trailer
IMDB

I have never seen the other Punisher movies, I think that should be said off the bat. I heard the Thomas Jane one wasn't very good, and I will probably eventually watch the Dolph Lundgren one. Also, I never read Punisher comics, besides Punisher meets Archie.
Punisher: War Zone opens with Frank Castle shooting up a bunch of mobsters. He lets a few get away on accident, but he's not going to let that lie. He goes to the recycling plant they're using for their hideout. He mistakenly kills a FBI agent (which is a source of despair for Castle throughout this film). He also throws a mobster into a bunch of glass and turns on the glass breaking machine (I don't know what it actually is, but it's a machine that breaks glass), but that doesn't care of the scumbag. He gets semi-fixed up and becomes known as Jigsaw. Jigsaw is bent on taking out the Punisher.
I heard a lot of mixed things coming into this movie, but the thing that stuck out most to me from the reviews was that it was an over the top action movie. That is exactly what it is, and if you read this site regularly (which barely anybody does), then you'll know that's the sort of thing I enjoy.
This flick has an excessive body count, an absurd amount of gore and is a very adult movie for one based off of a comic book. This is exactly what I expected and then some. There are several instances of heads exploding, which, to me, is a good thing.
Another interesting factor about this movie is that it's directed by a female. That isn't necessarily impressive, but given the subject matter and intense violence, I think it's definitely worth noting. Lexi Alexander did a fantastic job with this movie and I hope she gets to make a sequel. I seriously doubt one is going to happen, though.

8/10
0 comments:

Post a Comment

Rating Scale Explanation

The rating scale is simple. 1 is the worst 10 is the best and 5 is mediocre. 5.5 or greater is a movie that I at least find enjoyable. You could also think of 5 as a zero and 1 as a negative 5. I feel like that sounds even more convoluted.

Blog Archive